When it comes to vacationing in Maine, most people think of the rugged coastline, the charming lighthouses, or the bustling city of Portland. However, nestled in the heart of the state lies a hidden gem that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty – the twin cities of Lewiston and Auburn. Known as L-A to the locals, this area is a vibrant hub of arts, dining, and outdoor activities. But where should you stay when you visit? This guide will take you through some of the best lodging options in Lewiston-Auburn, ensuring you have a comfortable base from which to explore all that this region has to offer.
Historic Inns and B&Bs
For those who love a touch of history and charm, Lewiston-Auburn offers several historic inns and bed & breakfasts that promise a unique and cozy stay.
- The Munroe Inn: This Queen Anne-style inn, built in 1899, offers four guest rooms with private baths and a full gourmet breakfast. It’s located in downtown Auburn, making it a convenient base for exploring the city.
- The Inn at the Agora: Located in Lewiston, this historic inn was once the rectory of the former St. Patrick’s Church. It offers comfortable rooms and a peaceful garden, and it’s just a short walk from the city’s downtown area.
- The Brewster House: A little further afield in Freeport, this 19th-century inn offers spacious rooms, a hearty three-course breakfast, and easy access to both Lewiston-Auburn and the Maine coast.
Hotels and Motels
If you prefer more modern accommodations, there are several hotels and motels in the Lewiston-Auburn area that offer comfortable rooms and convenient amenities.
- Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch: Overlooking the Androscoggin River, this hotel offers comfortable rooms, an on-site restaurant, and a fitness center. It’s also conveniently located near the Auburn city center.
- Hampton Inn Lewiston-Auburn: This hotel offers modern rooms, free breakfast, and an indoor pool. It’s located in downtown Lewiston, close to several restaurants and shops.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Auburn: Ideal for longer stays, this hotel offers spacious suites with full kitchens. It also features a fitness center, an indoor pool, and a complimentary breakfast.
Campgrounds and RV Parks
For those who love the great outdoors, Lewiston-Auburn is surrounded by several campgrounds and RV parks that offer a more rustic lodging experience.
- Range Pond Campground: Located in Poland, just a short drive from Lewiston-Auburn, this campground offers tent and RV sites, a sandy beach, and a variety of outdoor activities.
- Desert of Maine Campground: This unique campground is located in a natural desert in Freeport. It offers tent and RV sites, as well as a variety of educational programs about the desert environment.
- Two Lakes Camping Area: Nestled between Hogan and Whitney Ponds in Oxford, this campground offers a peaceful retreat with plenty of opportunities for fishing, swimming, and boating.
What to Consider When Choosing Your Lodging
When choosing your lodging in Lewiston-Auburn, there are several factors to consider.
- Location: Consider what attractions and activities you want to do during your stay. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the city, you might want to choose a hotel or inn in the downtown area. If you prefer outdoor activities, a campground or RV park might be a better fit.
- Amenities: Think about what amenities are important to you. Do you need a fitness center or a pool? Do you prefer a place that offers breakfast? Make sure to check what amenities each lodging option offers.
- Price: Of course, price is always a factor. Lewiston-Auburn offers a range of lodging options to fit different budgets, so you’re sure to find something that suits your needs.
In conclusion, whether you’re looking for a historic inn, a modern hotel, or a rustic campground, Lewiston-Auburn offers a variety of lodging options to make your stay in this hidden gem of Maine a memorable one. So why wait? Start planning your trip to L-A today!
Explore Kittery Lobster Rolls, a gem of Maine's coastal cuisine. Uncover the secrets of these delicious delights in our culinary guide....
Explore Auburn, Maine's culinary scene in this guide, revealing must-try restaurants in this charming New England town....
Discover Aroostook County's hidden gems. Experience Maine's underrated beauty through untouched landscapes and unique attractions....
Explore Lincoln, Maine's untouched beauty. Immerse in nature's haven amidst the Pine Tree State's serene landscapes....